The opportunity of a lifetime must be seized in the lifetime
of the moment.
The joy of writing
will probably lack any luster unless there is a message that charges our emotional batteries with a passion and
causes us to explore the art of writing ourselves.
What are your jumper cables connected to? What intrigues you? What do you feel passionate about? Dig deep
when answering that question, and you’ll have the seed of a plot that will grow
into something beautiful.
Do you know the number one factor that defeats more fiction
authors than any other? FEAR. It shows up in ‘what ifs.’ What if I can’t convey my thoughts into
words? What if my story idea is
dumb? What if I don’t finish it? Tuck those fears in your pocket—take a deep
breath—tell yourself, “Today I start writing.
I will unleash my imagination. Today
I will discover the joy of writing!
In his book, Write Your Novel in a Month, Jeff Gerke
says, “There is only one commandment for fiction—only one law that, if broken,
will kill your novel. It is this: You must engage your reader from beginning
to end!” He goes on to say, “The core idea is what makes you want to sit
down and write. The premise (a short synopsis of what the book is about) is what makes
a reader want to read it.”
Ask yourself: What is my message?
What’s my point? Who are my
readers? How do I want to impact them? What response do I want to evoke? How can my writing benefit others? Do I write to make a change? If so, how do I connect with my reader on an emotional level? How do I tap into emotions through my
characters? This matters even if you write for your eyes only.
Three basic questions I MUST ask all my main
characters:
· *
What
does he/she care about?
· *
What does he/she fear?
· *
What motivates him/her?
Know your characters personally.
Spend time with your characters.
Take them to lunch and watch how they interact with other people. Put them in difficult situations to see if it
brings out the best or the worst in them.
Where do they get their strength?
What are their weaknesses? How do
they act when no one is watching?
“Remember,” Gerke says, “Your character(s) must change or the
plot has no tension—something in your story must impact your character that
will bring about change or your plot will fall flat. What is the conflict that keeps your
protagonist from accomplishing his goal?
Create you antagonist to propel the tension with your main character.”
Write with emotion—show, don’t tell. Example:
She was surprised. Better – her eyebrows
shot up, and she made an O with her mouth.
Don’t necessarily reveal the complete ending, but give the reader
a hint how it will end. Example:
It was then that Mike realized the
outer puzzle pieces—the framework—of a family picture were coming together. (Excerpt from “Kiss Your Mommy Goodbye by
Rita Kroon).
When you’re done writing, bring luster to your story. Polish it.
That means to edit it. Discover how the joy of writing need not be tarnished at this point—only enhanced.
Then comes publishing!
No comments:
Post a Comment