What are the areas of life we should consider when trying to establish an even keel? The major components are: physical; vocational; spiritual and emotional; relational; social; recreational; financial; and family and inner circle. Life purpose and vision should be at the center.
The more multifaceted our balance wheel is, the less time we have to devote to each area of life. When that happens, we let those areas spill into the time available. "If we just had more time, we could get everything done. Right?" Not necessarily. Most people have a backlog of things they want to get done. But when we try to accomplish it all, we create a huge problem. We rob time from another slice on the balance wheel until all areas are jammed together. Pressure builds. We get stressed out. It's like trying to stuff five pounds of hamburger into a three-pound bag.
Balance means to allot our time and energy in such a way that will benefit life's most important areas. We cannot be all toil and no skittles. We must consider: Do the things that matter on earth have any real significance in eternity?
Balance. This is, by far, my biggest challenge and struggle. I am notorious for being task-oriented. I stay on task until I get the job done - at times, to the exclusion of my loved ones which is something I loathe doing. I have to be intentional and self-disciplined in order to balance my physical with my spiritual and emotional. It's not easy for me, but I know setting certain limits is absolutely crucial if I want balance in my existence, which in turn, brings quality in life, which helps me focus on the hub of my wheel - my purpose and my vision.
Balance is not something we stumble upon. It is something we create. We must be proactive.
Here are a few guidelines to bring balance into your life which I find to be most beneficial - especially for us overachievers.
- Determine what is important. What are the top priorities that will contribute to the quality of your life? Rate them on a scale of one to ten - the higher the priority, the more time should be spent in that area.
- Be creative. Look for ways to be more efficient with time and energy you give to the tasks at hand.
- Stay relational. Spend quality time with other people. Focus on them - not on the tasks you could or should be doing instead.
- Keep healthy. Eat well and exercise regularly.
- Relax. Give yourself a time-out to enjoy life.
Balance comes when you discover, decide, and discern what you truly want - what you consider to be important. And, voila! Balance.
Rita Kroon
a
T
No comments:
Post a Comment