Monday, November 17, 2014

Ask Yourself

Questions I think writers should ask themselves.  "Do I have depth to my writing?"  "Do I write on several topics or on only those for which I have a real passion?"  "How does my reader response to what I write with passion and depth differ from that which I write with knowledge and research?"

Unless you're writing a technical paper for a research project or a school assignment, the answer is unequivocally the work written with passion and depth is what evokes the greatest reader response.  What then is key to writing with depth and passion?

Every email, each forty-character twitter, every blog and facebook post, texting, and all other social media are successful only if you connect with another person.  Writing books is no exception.  The key is connecting on a meaningful level and it's called relationship.  Every book and social media must be based on relationship if there is going to be any purpose at all for their existence.

 We are social creatures.  We build meaningful relationships when we spend time together.  Some would argue that if it weren't for social media, there would be no relationships at all.  True - to a point.  However, the best relationships are built on quality time together - talking and listening to one another with a caring and open heart.  The more quality time together, the deeper the relationship.

Allen Arnold, leader of 'Content & Resources for Ransomed Heart Ministries' in Colorado, puts it this way, "This deeper magic comes down to one simple word.

With

Are you writing with God?  This is a radically different approach than starting your writing time with a simple prayer or asking God to bless your work once you're done.  There has to be a relationship between you and God if you are going to write with God."

I agree with Allen.  After all, God is the creator of relationships.  He's the source of wisdom.  He's the teller of parables.  God is the storehouse of creativity.  He knows the beginning from the end.

How do I measure success as a writer?  The number of books sold?  Or, the number of hearts touched?

I am comforted and assured ever time I read the words of Jesus, "I will never desert you nor will I ever forsake you."  (Hebrews 13:5)  I can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper.  I will not be afraid."

I have discovered a confidence and assurance from the Originator of the written word that gives me the depth of writing that will change the hearts and minds of my readers.

As Allen Arnold says, "It's about you and God experiencing the creative dance together."

See Allen Arnold's complete blog at www.novelrocket.com

Rita Kroon

No comments:

Post a Comment